Communities in Action Corps is pleased to announce that they are recruiting for a 900 hour AmeriCorps position at Flathead Lake State Park in Bigfork, Montana from June 14-November 19, 2021. Please see position announcement below and distribute to all interested students who would like to serve in Big Sky country!
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Seth Shteir, AmeriCorps Coordinator
Montana State Parks
Flathead Lake State Park AmeriCorps Position
Serve in Big Sky Country with Communities in Action Corps (CIA Corps)! CIA Corps is seeking one AmeriCorps member to serve a 23-week term from June 14–November 19, 2021 at beautiful Flathead Lake State Park in Bigfork, Montana.
As the largest, natural, freshwater lake west of the Mississippi, Flathead Lake provides some of the best water-based recreational opportunities in the western United States, including fishing, camping, hiking, sightseeing, wildlife-viewing, and boating. With six state park units located around the lake, the park includes Wayfarers, Yellow Bay, Big Arm, Finley Point, West Shore, and Wild Horse Island—the only island state park in the Montana State Park system.
The member will be based at the Flathead Lake Ranger Station and serve to develop and lead guided hikes, expand educational and interpretive programs, increase volunteer capacity, enhance outreach and awareness, participate in service activities, and respond to disasters as needed.
The AmeriCorps member will also coordinate a volunteer work day, teach youth on various STEM topics, and create educational programming with local school districts. They will recruit and build a core group of community volunteers, coordinate and assist with events, and reach out to community members to improve state park awareness and programs.
- Over 18 with a high school diploma or GED; college degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- A United States citizen, United States National, or legal permanent resident alien
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to take initiative, handle multiple projects, track details essential to project completion, analyze information, and meet deadlines
- Strong ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Basic computer proficiency
- Passion for the outdoors and enthusiasm for enhancing Montana’s state parks
- A driver’s license and personal means of transportation within the state of Montana
- Must pass the requirements of the National Service Criminal History Check
- Living allowance of $7,475 over 23-week term of service ($325/week)
- Health insurance
- An AmeriCorps Education Award of $3,097.50 upon successful completion of service. This award can be used to pay education costs at qualified institutions of higher education, for educational training and resources, or to repay qualified student loans. Members aged 55 and over may transfer the education award to a child, grandchild or foster child.
- Eligible for deferment on qualified student loans
- Experience and training working in the fields of outdoor recreation, parks management, interpretive services, education, community outreach, and volunteer management
For a full position description, please go to https://fwp.mt.gov/stateparks/americorps
To apply: Applications will be accepted until April 22, 2021 and are evaluated on a rolling basis. Please go to: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=102540